WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. (DECEMBER 1, 2017) — The Williamsport Area School District Education Foundation recently concluded its annual Holiday Essay Contest, during which students in kindergarten through sixth grade were asked to answer, in 200 words or less: “What’s your favorite holiday memory and why?”
From a pool of 234 entries, the top 25 winners were selected and will receive free ride on The Santa Express on Friday, Dec. 8, sponsored by the Williamsport/Lycoming Chamber of Commerce.
This year’s winners are:
• Landon Arriaga, fifth grade, Curtin Intermediate
• Maurice Baines, third grade, Jackson Primary
• Jahki Burget, third grade, Stevens Primary
• Lynnae Campbell, second grade, Cochran Primary
• McKay Campbell, kindergarten, Cochran Primary
• Ava Fischer, second grade, Jackson Primary
• Jude Fisher, kindergarten, Stevens Primary
• Ava Girton, third grade, Hepburn-Lycoming Primary
• Elaina Girton, fifth grade, Hepurn-Lycoming Primary
• Olivia Godfrey, fourth grade, Lycoming Valley Intermediate
• Anyae Grissom, sixth grade Curtin Intermediate
• Lily Hamilton, fourth grade, Curtin Intermediate
• Joel House, third grade, Jackson Primary
• Riley Kinsley, fifth grade, Lycoming Valley Intermediate
• Malachi Kiper, fifth grade, Jackson Primary
• Daeyan Martin, sixth grade, Curtin Intermediate
• Alliyah Miller, second grade, Hepburn-Lycoming Primary
• Abby Packard, third grade, Cochran Primary
• Taylor Rockey, second grade, Jackson Primary
• Maddie Sanders, third grade, Cochran Primary
• Sajzae Smith, sixth grade, Curtin Intermediate
• Keyana Springman, sixth grade, Lycoming Valley Intermediate
• Aniya Thomas, third grade, Stevens Primary
In addition to the train ride, two top essay winners were selected and received a $25 gift card to the Cinema Center, sponsored by the Williamsport Sun-Gazette. These two students were fifth-grader Lauren Bogle from Hepburn-Lycoming and sixth-grader Kathryn Stea from Lycoming Valley.
This year will mark 150 students who have enjoyed a ride on The Santa Express — for free — as a result of the foundation’s holiday essay contest.
The WASD Education Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to enhancing the educational experience for students by funding programs, projects and initiatives.